Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and let us know you were here.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Saving on school photos

With all the talk of back to school and trying to save $$, one area that seems to get over looked all the time is school photos.

For my unique family situation, all I need/want is 1 8x10 and 1 5x7 of each child (3 of them). That's it.. no wallets, no dozens of other sizes. Just the 8x10 for my wall and the 5x7 for gramma's wall. (My mother/father in law passed before we ever had kids.)

The school packages that had an 8x10 and a 5x7 were usually very large, lots of sizes and usually cost about $30 each. (That's $90 folks!!) That is too expensive for 6 pictures!

I don't need pictures to send to my siblings. It's nice but realistically they look at them, maybe post on the fridge for a month or two and get tossed. That's a big waste of money!

So I came up with a solution. I don't get pictures thru the school. And that's ok.
The school will take a picture for their file, but I don't buy the package.

I take my kids and camera and go for a drive. I take the pictures. Back before digital cameras I would take a whole roll or two. Then develop them myself and pick the best shots for me and gramma.

I have been doing this for years. Saves me lots of money, I get to choose the picture and we get to spend some quality time as a family.  This year, my youngest is in 8th grade but both my older boys are working and college. I still do our outings every fall. This year will be a bit different as my oldest is getting married!

I will probably use wedding pictures this year for my yearly shot!