Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and let us know you were here.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Spring cleaning, window edition (WFMW)

Spring is just around the corner and I have been thinking about spring cleaning.
One of the yearly chores I do to make it feel more like spring is cleaning the windows. It’s a big chore and can be very time consuming.


Here are a few tips to make it a bit easier.
1)      First, pull back the blinds or curtains, open the window, and inspect its sill, frame, and tracks for cobwebs, debris and loose dirt that could smear on the window.
2)      Next, clean your screens.  I leave my screens in year round. I clean them so dirt doesn’t fly in the first time I open my windows for fresh air. The easiest way to clean screens is just run your vacuum with its dusting-brush attachment over the side that faces in. (Side to side, top to bottom is the speediest method.)
3)      My windows slide back and forth- very old fashioned. I spray
cleaner on the glass until it’s heavily misted but not drippy. Then, with a clean lint-free cloth, wipe horizontally until dry. If I am able to get to the outside of the window (some of my windows can’t be reached,) I spray and wipe vertically. Cleaning in opposite directions makes streaks obvious and easier to fix. For those windows I can’t reach, I spray with a hose.
4)      Clean on a cloudy day. Bright sun makes the cleaner dry too fast on the windows, leaving streaks and more work for you.

Hope these tips are helpful... and hope your windows are sparkly!