Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and let us know you were here.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Just 5 minutes....


People often ask me how I can get so much done and how I can be so organized.  I look for 5 minutes..

What? 5 minutes? What can you do with 5 minutes?
 Well, I keep a running list of all the big projects I want to do. I know that I will never find the time to get the project all the way done so I  carve about five minutes here and there to do those big major projects.
For example, have you ever stuck something in the microwave for 5 minutes and then stood around the kitchen waiting for the timer to ring? I use those 5 minutes, to  empty or load the  dishwasher.
If I am ready to walk out the door for work, but I don't need to leave for 10 minutes, I will start the laundry or change it.  I use those "random" minutes to do bits and pieces of projects. I didn't clean the whole kitchen in that 5 minutes, but I got a big chuck of the work done. ( I also "race" against the clock-- can I empty the WHOLE thing before it's done?)

Don't worry about how big the task is that needs to be done, it can be done if you just to break it up into small little tasks. For example in my August challenge I cleaned and straightened out the bathroom over four days rather than trying to carve out an hour to do the whole thing.  I spent five minutes here, five minutes there straightening out a shelf at a time.

Don't be overwhelmed by those big projects. All a big project is is a lot of little tasks done over time. 
Remember all you need is  five minutes here, five minutes there.